Saturday, December 31, 2016

Le Grand Départ -Leaving France

Beuvron-en-Auge - A lovely village in Normandie in the center of the cider and Calvados region.
After school let out at the end of June, I spent a few more weeks in France before flying home.  A friend had asked me to come along on a Cub Scout camping trip.   In France, teenage girls act as Scout leaders for the Cubs.  Luce and I had participated in the camping trip the year before.  Both times we set up camp in Normandy in an empty field. Along with the tents, the boys constructed a complicated structure for cooking over an open fire. There were games, singing and a lot of rain.

A Solex motorized bicycle.
That first summer my knowledge of French was minimal. Since I wasn’t much good at organizing the boys, I was sent on errands. I remember I was asked to take the Solex (a motorized bicycle)into the village to buy the boudin (a sausage made with dried blood and seasonings). Finding my way to the village was an adventure.  I had never ridden a Solex and I didn’t have a clue what I was purchasing. In the village, I went into the wrong shop and was directed to the butcher. I bought a long string of boudin.  As I remember my trip back was by trial and error as I wasn't quite sure where the camp site was located.  We enjoyed the grilled boudin with applesauce and mashed potatoes.



Here I am on the second cub scout camping trip.  The boys presented me with a birthday cake! 
Two weeks later I left for home.  A group of friends came to see me off at Orly.  I cried as I made my way to the plane.  I would greatly miss my French family and all the friends I had made.

Le grand départ.  Check out the chic full skirt and scarf.  In my hands I hold flowers and a baguette.
When I arrived in Washington, I put on a black hat with a brim to go through customs.  Under the hat I smuggled in a camembert cheese. Very naughty and highly illegal! 

Another group of family and friends were there to greet me as I exited the plane.  I was hugged and kissed and I laughed and then I cried…for joy to be back home.


Home is deep in your heart. 
It empowers your departure.

But it welcomes you back,
With arms spread wide.

It’s the fulcrum of your life,
A tether to your soul.



Here's a plaque I made with my Dad as a young girl.  We used a red-hot washer and a nail to burn in the inscription.


No comments:

Post a Comment